Current Affairs India - 26 November 2014

1. India remembered the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks on its sixth anniversary today with different functions organized in the city to pay tribute to the martyrs who lost their lives fighting the terrorists.


Some Ministers and Police officers including Ministers Vinod Tawde, Prakash Mehta and Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria and DGP Sanjeev Dayal paid homage at the 26/11 police memorial site at the Mumbai Police Gymkhana in south Mumbai. Family members of the policemen, who lost their lives during the attacks, were also present during the ceremony.


10 Pakistani terrorists landed in Mumbai city by sea route on 26th November 2008 and opened fire at people killing 166 and injuring several other people. Then Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare, Army Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, Mumbai's Additional Police Commissioner Ashok Kamte and Senior Police Inspector Vijay Salaskar were among those killed in the attack.


2. India's biggest dairy brand Amul has celebrated National Milk Day today (26th November) across India to mark the 92nd birth anniversary of late Milk Man Verghese Kurian. He (1921-2012) was the father of the India's White Revolution also known as the Milkman of India as he dedicated his life to bringing together milk-producing farmers in cooperatives country-wide.


He also transformed India from a milk-deficit country into the world's largest milk producing country in three decades and empowered hundreds of thousands of poor milk producers across the country.


3. The Lok Sabha passed the Delhi Special Police Establishment (Amendment) Bill, 2014 by voice vote during its winter session which started from yesterday. As per new bill, CBI director will be chosen by a panel comprising ofPrime Minister, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha or the leader of the Single largest party in the House and Chief Justice of India or any Supreme Court Judge. The Bill also makes a provision that no appointment will be invalid merely because of vacancy or absence of a member of the panel.


4. An Assam-based NGO named as "Aaranyak" which is currently working for the conservation of nature and a Kathmandu-based International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) won United Nations Lighthouse Activities award for the year 2014.These two entities were awarded under the focus area of information and communication technology (ICT) solutions.


5. Global Rating agency Moody's Investors Service has kept India's sovereign rating outlook stable at "Baa3", but the future outlook will depend on the reform measures taken by the Government. The credit rating for 2015 will depending on high fiscal expenditures, recurrent food price inflation, and wide infrastructure deficit, as per Moody's latest report.


With this, all the major three credit rating agencies, S&P, Moody's and Fitch have given "BBB" rating for India with Stable Outlook. This current rating is just below investment grade rating.


6. Kotak Mahindra Bank has become the first bank to get the Reserve Bank of India's approval to set up a wholly-owned non-life insurance company this week. It received approval from RBI to form a 100% subsidiary to enter general insurance industry. The bank is already the promoter of a life insurance company in partnership with Old Mutual of South Africa.


RBI guidelines allow a bank to hold maximum stake of 50% in insurance joint venture. However, RBI allowed some exceptions, like SBI and ICICI Bank which holds 74% in their insurance entities while the rest 26% is held by foreign entities.


7. Indian tennis player Sania Mirza has been appointed the United Nations Goodwill Ambassador for the South Asian region by UN Women at an event which was organized to mark the International Day to End Violence against Women yesterday. With this, she became the first South Asian woman to be appointed the goodwill ambassador in the organisation's history. In her capacity as the goodwill ambassador, she is expected to educate women about gender equality.


The other Goodwill Ambassadors include British actor Emma Watson, Academy Award winner Nicole Kidman, HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha  Mahidol of Thailand, and Indian actor-filmmaker-singer Farhan Akhtar.


8. Karnataka defended Vijay Hazare Trophy after defeating Punjab by 156 runs in the final match held on 25th November. While batting first, Karnataka scored 359 runs for seven wickets in 50 overs. Punjab was all out for 203 rins in just 38.2 overs.