Current Affairs India - 22 April 2014

1. The Supreme Court revoked its 19-month-old ban on iron ore mining in Goa but restricted the extraction to 20 million tonnes per annum yesterday. The Apex court also said the expert panel will give a final recommendation on the annual cap on excavation of iron ore within six months. It said there cannot be a deemed renewal of lease after 2007 of the existing lease deeds emanating from 1962.


It said there will be no grant of lease for mining around one km of national parks and wildlife sanctuaries. The court directed the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) to identify eco-sensitive areas around national parks within six months. It said the Goa Government will formulate a scheme within six months for utilising the funds generated by e-auction.


2. The Supreme Court has asked the Justice Mukul Mudgal committee to further investigate the IPL 2013 spot fixing and betting scandal, and in particular the 13 names mentioned in the sealed envelope. One of the names is that of suspended BCCI president, N. Srinivasan.


The Apex Court also asked Justice Mudgal to list the investigating agencies he needs help from. The Supreme Court had constituted a three-man panel under Retired Justice Mudgal in October last year, to investigate the scandal. On February 10, the Mudgal committee submitted a report to the court after a four-month probe.


3. Indian Cities New Delhi, Hyderabad and Bangalore were placed among the global cities with maximum shopping centre space under construction in 2014, according to the latest Global Viewpoint report from realty consultant CBRE. While New Delhi was ranked at 21st rank, Hyderabad stood at 23rd position and Bangalore stood at 31st place in the global ranking while Chennai was among the top 15 most active shopping centre development markets in the world in 2013.


4. Karnataka musician Mathangi Sathyamurthy was selected for M S Subbulakshmi Award 2014, announced by the M S Subbulakshmi Foundation last weekend. She will receive a cash award of 10001 rupees and a plaque.


5. India-s largest IT services Company Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) joined the league of top 10 global IT services companies after posting robust revenue growth for FY2014. TCS moved from the 13th position in 2012 to the 10th spot in 2013, as per the data published by the HfS Research Survey on competitive landscape for IT Services in 2013.


According to the Survey, IBM leads the list and is followed by Fujitsu, Hewlett-Packard, Accenture and NTT. India-based companies Cognizant, Infosys, Wipro and HCL are at the 15th, 18th, 20th and 25th positions, respectively, all of them rising by one to three spots compared to 2012.


6. India-s largest IT services Company Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and Mitsubishi Corporation, an integrated global business enterprise, announced a new joint venture, Nippon TCS Solution Center Limited, for the Japanese market, the second largest market for software services which is still untouched by Indian services companies.


The entity will offer a full-service suite of IT, BPO and infrastructure services to Japanese corporations. TCS Japan will have a 60% stake and Mitsubishi Corporation will hold remaining 40% stake. The new joint venture will also establish a nearshore delivery center in Japan.


7. Motorola Mobility, which was recently acquired by Google, has appointed Amit Boni as General Manager of India. He will lead the team across the country and be responsible for the Go-to-Market strategy. This is the senior most post for the company in India.


8. Bengaluru FC won the I-League for the first time after defeating Dempo Sports Club 4-2 at the Nehru Stadium in Fatorda. This is the biggest prize in Indian football. This is also Bengaluru FC-s debut season of I-League.