1. The Congress Working Committee, CWC, has unanimously passed a resolution today in favour of creating a separate state of Telengana out of Andhra Pradesh. The CWC has adopted the resolution and asked the Centre to take steps for creating the new State within a definite time frame. As per the proposal, Telengana will be the 29th State of the country from 1st January, 2014 and Hyderabad will be the common capital for both the states for 10 years.
2. The Bombay High Court has held the two-member probe panel set up by the BCCI to look into spot-fixing and betting charges in the IPL tournament as illegal and unconstitutional today. The Court order came just two days after the probe panel submitted its report on July 28, giving a clean chit to BCCI chief, N. Srinivasan, his son-in-law Meiyappan and Rajasthan Royals’ co-owner Raj Kundra. It will be a big blow to former BCCI chief, N. Srinivasan who plans to come following the probe panel report.
3. Sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan was chosen for the 21st Rajiv Gandhi National Sadhbhavna Award for his contribution towards promotion of communal harmony and peace. It will be conferred on Amjad Ali Khan on 20 August 2013, the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award (Rajiv Gandhi National Communal Harmony Award) is an award given for outstanding contribution towards promotion of communal harmony, national integration and peace. The award carries a citation and a cash award of five lakh rupees.
4. Tata tops the list in the first edition of Inter brands Best Indian Brands study with a valuation of USD 10.9 billion, followed by Reliance at USD 6.24 billion and Airtel at USD 6.22 billion.
5. India wins the second edition of the South Asian Football Federation Championship after defeating Nepal 1-0 in the final match played at Dashrath Stadium in Kathmandu. Jerry Lalrimzuala scored the lone goal which proved decisive for India. Bangladesh won the third place defeating Afghanistan 1-0 in the other match played at Nepal Army grounds today. Fair team play was won by Bhutan.
6. Jagdish Raj, the Bollywood actor who held the Guinness World Record for being the most type-cast actor, passed away on 28 July at Mumbai. He was 85. He held the world record of playing the role of a policeman 144 times on the silver screen.