1. Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala was sworn in as the 17th Governor of Karnataka today as he was administered the oath of office by the Chief Justice of Karnataka D H Waghela. Vajubhai Vala replaces Tamil Nadu Governor Mr K Rosaiah who was holding the additional charge after Governor Hans Raj Bhardwaj completed his term in June this year.
2. Former Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam will be appointed as the Governor of Kerala after former Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit resigned from the post last week. He served as the Chief Justice of India from 2007-14.
3. Famous Telugu artist, filmmaker and humourist Sattiraju Lakshminarayana, popularly known as Bapu, passed away in Chennai. He was 80. He and his long-time friend Mullapudi Venkata Ramana made some of the memorable works in Telugu literary world and film industry. He directed films such as Mutyala Muggu, Pelli Pustakam and Sampoorna Ramayanam.
4. Eight core sector growth dropped to 2.7% in July due to negative growth in crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilisers and steel sectors. This is much lower compared to 5.3% growth in the same month last year. During April-July period of current financial year, the eight core sectors grew by 4.1% compared to 4.1% in the same period last year.
Crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilisers and steel recorded a negative growth of 1%, 9%, 5.5%, 4.2% and 3.4% respectively in July which pulled down the overall core sector growth. However, coal, cement and electricity production grew by 6.2%, 16.5% and 11.2% respectively in the same month.
5. Indian badminton player PV Sindhu settled for her second bronze at the World Badminton Championship as she was defeated by Carolina Marin of Spain in straight games at the semifinals on 30th August.
6. The Jaipur Pink Panthers, defeated U Mumba by 35-24 to win the inaugural Pro Kabaddi League at NSCI’s Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium on 31st August. The score was 18-14 after first half while second half was completely dominated by the Jaipur Pink Panthers.
7. New Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung announced the decision to appoint wrestler Sushil Kumar as the Sports Brand Ambassador of Delhi Government last week. He also doubled sports budget for the capital to Rs 44 lakh.
Jung announced this at a felicitation ceremony of the medal winners from the national capital region in the 2014 Commonwealth Games held at Glasgow recently. Sushil Kumar, Yogeshwar Dutt and Amit Dahiya won the gold medal in the 2014 Commonwealth Games while The silver medals bagged by Bajrang Kumar, Rajiv Tomar, Shreyasi Singh and bronze medals bagged by Manavjit Singh Sandhu, Pawan Kumar.
1. Manufacturing growth in the eurozone dropped to 13-month low in August as the Markit compiled Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) for manufacturing sector dropped to 50.7 in August compared to 51.8 in July. Any reading higher than 50 indicates growth. PMI dropped for two largest economies in euro zone; the factory PMI for Germany dropped to an 11-month low of 51.4 while for France it dropped to 46.9 in the same month.
Now the entire region will wait for the European Central Bank (ECB) meeting scheduled to be held on Thursday for further direction. ECB has to take some necessary steps to boost growth and remove fear of possible deflation.
2. Manufacturing growth in the China dropped marginally in August as the Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) for manufacturing sector dropped to 51.1 in August compared to 51.7 in July, as per the data published by the National Bureau of Statistics. Any reading higher than 50 indicates growth. Drop in manufacturing activity raises concern about the world’s second largest economy.
3. Carolina Marin became the first from Spain to win World Badminton Championship on 31st August at the World Badminton Championship held in Copenhagen, Denmark. Carolina won women’s singles titles by defeating world number one Li Xuerui of china while China’s Chen Long won the men’s singles titles of the World Badminton Championships.
GK Quiz – 1 September 2014
|7641||Scientist ______________ has been chosen for the prestigious Lokmanya Tilak award for this year 2014 (announced in July 2014). He is the chief architect of the long-range ballistic missiles in the country covering a range of about 300 km to 5,000 km.|
|A) Raja Ramanna|
|B) Daulat Singh Kothari|
|C) Avinash Chander|
|D) A.P.J. Abdul Kalam|
|7642||Global credit rating agency __________ Ratings has retained the ‘BBB-’ sovereign rating, the lowest investment grade, on India in July 2014. The global credit rating agency has also retained ‘stable’ outlook for India’s ratings.|
|C) Standard & Poors|
|D) None of These|
IBPS RRB, PO and Clerk 2014 exams are scheduled to be held from September to December 2014. These below materials will help you to prepare for the exams.
All the BEST!!!
Use the below link to access all the General Awareness, Marketing, Computer and Banking related questions asked in IBPS RRB 2013, PO 2013 and Clerk 2013 Exams.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2014:
Arjuna Award Winners 2014:
GK Quiz – 31 August 2014
|7631||Bank of Baroda chairman and managing director ___________ is set to take over as the fourth deputy governor of the Reserve bank of India after Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved his appointment in July 2014.|
|A) S S Mundra|
|B) KC Chakrabarty|
|C) Anand Sinha|
|D) Harun Rashid Khan|
|7632||Who has been appointed Chairman of Andhra Pradesh Grameena Vikas Bank (APGVB), Warangal in July 2014?|
|A) Atanu Sen|
|B) V Narsi Reddy|
|C) Santanu Mukherjee|
|D) H S Upendra Kamath|
India’s economic growth rebounded sharply in the first quarter (April-June) of the current financial year to 5.7% due to strong output by manufacturing and services sectors and steps taken by the new government to boost economic growth. This is the highest quarterly GDP growth in last 9 quarters, also much higher compared to GDP growth of 4.6% in the previous quarter and GDP growth of 4% in the same quarter last year.
The manufacturing sector, which accounts for nearly 14% of the economy, grew by 3.5% in the same quarter compared to 1.4% contraction in the previous quarter. The services sector, which accounts for nearly 60% of the economy, grew by 6.8% in the same quarter compared to 6.4% growth in the previous quarter. This is a good news for the economy and newly elected NDA government. Government has to take more measures now to booth investment and economic growth.
Check the link to see sector wise growth in the same and previous quarters:
1. National Sports Day was celebrated yesterday (29th August) across the country. The National Sports Day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of famous hockey player Dhyan Chand. Major Dhyan Chand was India’s greatest hockey player. He helped India win 3 Olympic Gold medals including the first in 1928 (Amsterdum Olympic games) and then in 1932 (Los Angeles Olympic games) and 1936 (Berlin Olympic games).
The President presented all the sport-related awards such as the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award and Dronacharya Award on this day at the Rashtrapati Bhavan to sports achievers and coaches across various sporting fields.
2. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe today during his 5 day visit to Japan and both the countries signed a MoU today to develop Varanasi into a ‘smart city’ by using the experience of Kyoto, the ’smart city’ of Japan. A Partner City MoU was signed by Indian Ambassador Deepa Wadhwa and Kyoto Mayor Daisaka Kadokawa at a ceremony in presence of Prime Ministers of both the countries.
The MoU provides for cooperation in heritage conservation, city modernisation and cooperation in the fields of art, culture and academics, as per External Affairs Ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin. This will serve as framework for Smart heritage city programme between the two countries, he added.
3. Vinod Kumar Duggal resigned as Manipur Governor, becomes the ninth government to resign since the newly elected NDA government took charge 100 days back. He was appointed as governor of Manipur by President Pranab Mukherjee in December 2013.
4. Chairman of Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC) RN Ravi was appointed as Naga interlocutor on 29th August, as per notification released by the PMO. He will be representing Govt of India in Naga peace talks.
5. After Governors, the Narendra Modi government planned to remove independent directors appointed by the previous UPA regime on PSU boards. NDA government begins that with sacking of four directors on the board of Indian Oil Corp.
As per regulatory filing by Indian Oil Corp, K Jairaj, Nesar Ahmad, Sunil Krishna and Sayan Chatterjee have ceased to be Independent Directors on the Board of the company on August 27, 2014. All of them were appointed to IOC board in March this year for a three-year term by previous UPA government.
6. In a rare honour, the US Post Service will issue a special postage stamp to commemorate legendary Indian actor Akkineni Nageswara Rao. The Telugu actor, who has spent 70 years in the industry, was awarded with all the top honours of the Indian film industry including the top most honour “Dada Saheb Phalke Award”.
Popularly known as ANR, he was a leading pillar of the Telugu film industry, beginning from Chennai to moving to Hyderabad and contributing to its growth as one of the biggest in the country now. The AFA also plans to release the stamp in India at the first “International Akkineni Awards Ceremony” in the presence of ANR family members.
7. Famous historian Bipin Chandra passed away at his residence today after prolonged illness. He was 86. He had played multiple roles including that of chairperson of the Centre for Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Member of the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the Chairman of the National Book Trust (NBT).
He had authored several books including ‘The Rise and Growth of Economic Nationalism’, ‘In the Name of Democracy: The JP Movement and the Emergency’, ‘Nationalism and Colonialism in Modern India’ and ‘The Making of Modern India: From Marx to Gandhi’ etc. He was also awarded with Padma Bhushan by the Central Government.
1. Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been sworn in as the President of Turkey after winning the country’s first public vote after serving three terms as Prime Minister. This move will only increase his dominance on the country. At the same time, former Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu will be the Prime Minister of the country.
2. US actor and singer Harry Belafonte has been named for the honorary Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Oscar Award yesterday. This is one of the three Governor’s Award given by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences for lifetime achievement. He will recieve the award in November this year.
Belafonte, also known as the King of Calypso, has spent much of his life campaigning for various causes including Aids awareness, famine relief, education and civil rights. He was a supporter of the Civil Rights Movement and marched alongside Martin Luther King Jr. He was also named as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 1987.
3. The eurozone inflation dropped to five year low of 0.3% in August, increases fear of possible deflation across the region. Inflation in euro zone stood at 0.4% in July.
This will prompt the European Central Bank (ECB) to take immediate action to boost economic growth across the region.
4. Brazilian economy fallen into recession as its economy was conracted by 0.6% during second quarter of current year following a 0.2% contraction in the previous quarter. A recession is defined by contraction in two consecutive quarters.
This is a very bad news for President Dilma Rousseff just before the General Election which will be held in October this year.
5. Famous footballer Cristiano Ronaldo was named the UEFA Best Player in Europe this week, his second after he won the same in 2008. He defeated Bayern Munich players Manuel Neuer and Arjen Robben for the prestigious award.
Ronaldo has received highest number of 24 votes from a panel of European football journalists to win the award followed by Neuer with 19 votes and Robben with 9 votes.
GK Quiz – 30 August 2014
|7621||Which bollywood starhas been appointed as the horticulture ambassador of Maharashtra in July 2014?|
|A) Amitabh Bachchan|
|B) Anupam Kher|
|C) Amir Khan|
|D) Shahrukh Khan|
|7622||The Vijay Mallya Story written by ___________ published by Penguin Books Limited in July 2014.|
|A) Udaya Tara Nayar|
|B) K Gopinath|
|C) K Giriprakash|
|D) None of These|