1. Devendra Fadnavis was sworn in as Chief Minister of Maharashtra today where BJP formed its government for the first time in Maharashtra without an alliance. He was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor C Vidyasagar Rao in a grand function at Wankhede Stadium. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP president Amit Shah, Chief Ministers of BJP—ruled states have attended the ceremony.
Former ally Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray has also attended the ceremony at the last moment after a last minute call by party President Amit Shah. Cabinet Ministers who were sworn in are Eknath Khadse, Sudhir Mungantiwar, Vinod Tawde, Pankaja Munde, all members of the BJP’s state Core Committee, Prakash Mehta, Chandrakant Patil and Vishnu Savara. The Ministers of State are Dilip Kamble and Vidya Thakur.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated 139th birth anniversary of India’s first home minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel as National Unity Day. He also marked the day as “Rashtriya Ekta Divas”.
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel laid foundation stone of the Statue of Unity today which will be the world’s tallest statue of Iron man of India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel once completed.
3. Growth of India’s eight core sectors slowed down to 1.9% in September compared to same period last year due to drop in production of crude oil, natural gas, petroleum refinery products and fertilisers sectors. Other sectors coal, steel, cement and electricity posted a growth in the same month.
During April-September period of the current financial year, cumulative core sector growth stood at 4%. The eight core industries have approximately 38% weight in the overall Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
4. Indian famous badminton player Saina Nehwal jumped by a place to fifth rank in the latest Badminton World Federation women’s singles rankings published in Delhi yesterday. She improved her ranking based on her back-to-back quarter-final appearances at Denmark and French Open tournaments this month.
Other player P V Sindhu maintained No 10 rank in the list. Parupalli Kashyap jumped by 4 places to 17th spot in the latest ranking after he made in the semi-finals of Denmark Open and he lost in the quarterfinals of French Open.
5. Former Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson, wanted in India in connection with the 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy, passed in the U.S. state of Florida aged 92.
The tragedy claimed more than 3,000 lives and considered to be one of the world’s most lethal industrial accidents. The Indian government made multiple requests to extradite him, and officially labelled him a fugitive. A judge also called him an “absconder”.
Daily Practice Quiz – 31 October 2014
|8181||India’s core sector output, consisting of eight key sectors, growth stood at ______ in August (announced in Sep 2014).|
|8182||AutoPortal ___________ has acquired another car information related portal Gaadi.com for nearly USD 11 million in Sep 2014.|
1. The Finance Ministry has issued new austerity measures to match up with the lower revenue realization till date. The measures include 10% cut in non-Plan expenditure and ban on creation of new posts.
The government has also barred the Government officials to travel in first class in order to cut cost. It also advised that in all cases of air travel, the lowest available air fare tickets have to be utilized.
2. India has been ranked at 55th place out of total 76 countries in terms of Global Hunger Index (GHI). As per the report, One-third of India’s women and children under the age of five are underweight and face micronutrient deficiencies. Though India’s position has improved significantly over the last couple of years due to steady economic growth and some special programs by the Government.
3. The Finance & Economic Affairs Secretary Arvind Mayaram has been transferred again to join Ministry of Minority Affairs. The appointment committee has cancelled its earlier order to transfer him to Tourism Ministry from the Finance Ministry.
The Government has already announced Rajiv Mehrishi as the new Economic Affairs Secretary. Since, Mehrishi is senior most among five secretaries (Economic Affairs, Revenue, Expenditure, Financial Services and Disinvestment) in the Finance Ministry, he is expected to become next Finance Secretary too.
4. Famous Indian cueist Pankaj Advani won another World Title by defeating UK’s Robert Hall in the World Billiards Championship finals in the Timed Format. He defeated Robert Hall with a score of 1928 – 893 in a one-sided final match. Earlier he won two ‘grand doubles’ in 2005 and 2008 respectively.
1. Pakistan Schoolgirl and the youngest Nobel Peace prize winner Malala Yousafzai won the 2014 World’s Children Prize yesterday after a global voting involving millions of children. She received the prize at a ceremony in Mariestad near Stockholm.
She was nominated for the 2014 World’s Children’s Prize for her courageous and dangerous fight for girls’ right to education. She received USD 50000 as cash reward.
At the same time, Indira Ranamagar and John Wood jointly won the 2014 World’s Children’s honorary awards with a cash rewards of USD 25000.
2. The US economy grew at an annual rate of 3.5% in the third quarter (July-September) of the current year which was much better than earlier expectation of 3%. This growth rate follows 4.6% growth rate witnessed in the previous quarter.
Economic growth jumped due to strong export growth and higher government spending. Strong economic growth also led to six year low unemployment rate as well.
3. US Central Bank, the Federal Reserve ended its monthly bond purchase program, known as Quantitative Easing after started reducing bond purchase value by USD 10 billion same time last year. During its latest outlook releases, it expresses confidence about US economy and its overall job market.
Daily Practice Quiz – 30 October 2014
|8171||Which chinese company has received approval from Chinese Central bank authority in Sep 2014 to set up a private bank in order to diversify its business into financial services?|
|B) State Grid Corporation|
|D) China Mobile Limited|
|8172||Which country/region won the Golf’s Ryder Cup held in Sep 2014?|
1. India has been ranked at 142nd position in the list of 189 countries in the latest World Bank’s “Ease of Doing Business” report published today. India’s rank dropped by two places from the ranking published last year. India secured 53.97 points this year compared to 52.78 points last year which confirms significant improvement in last one year.
Singapore secured No 1 position with 88.27 points in terms of ease of doing business followed by New Zealand, Hong Kong, Denmark and South Korea. The USA and UK has been ranked at No 7th and 8th position respectively while China was ranked at 90th position in the same list.
2. India has been ranked at 7th place for minority investor protection, as per a sub-ranking released by the World Bank as part of its annual Ease of Doing Business report today. This ranking is much better than some developed countries like United States, Japan, France and Germany.
The report added that India improved minority investor protections by requiring greater disclosure of conflicts of interest by board members, increasing the remedies available in case of prejudicial related party transactions and introducing additional safeguards for shareholders of privately held companies.
3. The Central Government has submitted a list of names of 627 Indian account holders in HSBC Bank, Geneva, in black money case to the Supreme Court. The list was handed over to SIT team probing the black money case. The apex court has also asked the Special Investigation Team to go through the list and take appropriate action in accordance with the law.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice H L Dattu did not open the sealed envelope and said that it would be opened only by the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman of the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT). It has asked SIT to submit the status report of its probe by November-end.
4. Senior journalist A Surya Prakash has been appointed Chairman of the Prasar Bharati Board for next 3 years. He will succeed another veteran journalist Mrinal Pande who completed his tenure on 30th April this year. The post has been lying vacant for the last six months.
The appointment was made on the recommendation of a three-member committee headed by Vice President M Hamid Ansari and comprising Press Council of India Chairman Markandey Katju and I&B Secretary Bimal Julka.
5. Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar has been elected as the vice-president of Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) in Macau yesterday. Representatives from Malaysian broadcaster RTM and Japan’s NHK were also chosen as vice-presidents while the representative from South Korean broadcaster KBS was chosen president.
ABU is a non-profit, non-government professional association of broadcasters. ABU has 264 members in 61 countries and it reaches to a potential audience of 3.5 billion people. India is a founder member since 1964 and All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan have been associated with it.
6. Indian PSU firm Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) overtook Reliance Industries to become the highest ranked Indian energy firm as per the Platts Global 250 Rankings for this year. ONGC now ranked at 22nd position globally compared to 23rd position last year. RIL, India’s largest private firm, secured 22nd rank while Indian Oil Corp and Coal India secured 43rd and 47th rank respectively.
The list is led by Oil giants Exxon Mobil Corp, Chevron and Royal Dutch Shell.
7. Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar and former Australian captain Steve Waugh were inducted as one of the latest honorees in the Bradman Foundation at a gala dinner held at the historic Sydney Cricket Ground.
Tendulkar, who met Bradman on his 90th birthday at his Adelaide home, was later listed in an all-time XI prepared by the batting genius himself.
1. The International Crimes Tribunal of Bangladesh has sentenced the Jamaat -e-Islami Chief Motiur Rahman Nizami to death penalty for crimes against humanity during 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War.He was the leader of the Students’ Wing of the Jamaat -e-Islami during the Liberation War, and headed the infamous Al-Badr militia.
2. Zambian President Michael Sata, also known as ‘King Cobra’ because of his venomous tongue, passed away in London where he had been receiving medical treatment. He was 77. He became president of Zambiain 2011.
Daily Practice Quiz – 29 October 2014
|8161||Which PSU bank and ICICI Bank allowed kids above age 10 years to operate bank accounts independently in Sep 2014?|
|A) State Bank of India|
|B) Allahabad Bank|
|C) United Bank of India|
|D) Punjab National Bank|
|8162||Former British Prime Minister/MP __________ was named one of the top “gay icons” of the last thirty years in Sep 2014 in recognition of his work for gay rights.|
|A) Margaret Thatcher|
|B) Tony Blair|
|C) Gordon Brown|
|D) John Major|
1. The Supreme Court ordered Centre today to disclose all the names of black money holders abroad to the apex court by Wednesday in a sealed envelope and slammed it for reluctance on the issue.The apex court said that it cannot modify its order and slammed the central government for seeking modification of its earlier order.
Attorney General said the government has received 500 names of account holders from different countries like Germany.
2. Devendra Fadnavis has been elected the leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Legislature Party in Maharashtra today. With this, he will be BJP Party’s first Chief Minister of the state. The resolution proposing Fadnavis as the leader of the Legislature Party was unanimously approved by the newly elected MLAs in the presence of union home minister Rajnath Singh and BJP general secretary in-charge of Maharashtra J.P. Nadda.
3. The Central Government has formed a committee headed by former CVC Pratyush Sinha to assess compensation to be paid for taking over running or ready to produce mines.Earlier Supreme Court has cancelled allocation of 204 coal blocks to various companies allocated between 1993 and 2009. 37 are running coal mines and another five are ready to produce by April.
The panel, which will also compromise officials of ministries of coal, power, finance and law, will submit its recommendations by November 10.
4. India has been ranked at 114th place in the list of 142 countries based on gender-based disparities, as per the World Economic Forum’s 2014 gender gap index published today. India slipped 13 places this year compared to 101th spot last year.
India is also part of the 20 worst-performing countries on the labour force participation, estimated earned income, literacy rate and sex ratio at birth indicators while India has been ranked among the top 20 best-performing countries on the political empowerment subindex. Based on economic participation and opportunity, India was ranked 134th; on educational attainment, India was ranked at 126th with female to male ratio in literacy rate at 0.68 and based on health and survival, ranked at 141st spot.
India performed better than countries like UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Jordan. Pakistan has been ranked as the second lowest country at 141st position. Iceland has been ranked at No 1 spot on World Economic Forum index followed by Finland (2), Norway (3), Sweden (4) and Denmark (5).
5. Private sector lender ING Vysya Bank’s Board has announced Deputy CEO Uday Sareen as new Managing Director and CEO of the bank. He will succeed current Managing Director and CEO Shailendra Bhandari, who resigned today after spending 5 years with the bank. Bhandari will continue in office till January 31, 2015.
6. Japanese Telecom major, the Softbank group has invested USD 627 million in Indian Online marketplace Snapdeal, which raises confidence in future growth potential of Indian E-commerce sector. With this investment, the SoftBank Group aims to increase its presence in India and leverage synergies with its network of Internet companies around the world. With this, SoftBank has become the largest shareholder of the E-Commerce company.
Daily Practice Quiz – 28 October 2014
|8151||The Reserve Bank of India has kept Reverse Repo rate unchanged at ________ during its announcement of of fourth bi-monthly monetary policy review on 30th Sep 2014.|
|8152||The world`s oldest test cricketer Norman Gordon passed away in Sep 2014. He was 103. He played for which country?|
|D) South Africa|