1. Lance Naik Hanamanthappa, who had been battling for life at the Army’s Research & Referral hospital, passed away today. He was 33. He is from town Dharwad in Karnataka. He was found alive under 38 feet of snow after 6 days of massive avalanchein Siachen while Indian Army was conducting rescue operation.
2. India has been ranked at No 37th position in the list of 38 countries in terms of the International Intellectual Property Index, released by the US Chamber of Commerce’s Global International Intellectual Property Centre. The 38 economies benchmarked in the 2016 Index account for nearly 85% of the global GDP.
USA topped the index followed by the UK, Germany, France and Sweden. Among BRICS nations, Russia was ranked at 20th, China at 22nd, South Africa at 26th and Brazil at 29th positions.
3. Maharashtra has topped the list of states in terms of the overall Internet readiness index, as per data released by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Indicus Analytics. Maharashtra secured its position in areas like e-infrastructure, eGovernance, IT services and consumer participation. Maharashtra is followed by Karnataka, Gujarat, Telengana and Tamil Nadu.
4. Former Chief Secretary of Gujarat DJ Pandian has been appointed as the Vice-President, Chief Investment Officer of the newly formed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. The primary responsibility of the Chief Investment Officer is leading the planning and supervision of the Bank’s infrastructure investment by promoting sustainable investment throughout Asia.
5. IAS officer Ramesh Abhishek has been appointed as the Officer on Special Duty in the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry. He will succeed the current DIPP Secretary Amitabh Kant, when he retires.
6. India has secured No 1 rank in the list of major milk-producing countries in the world with total milk production of 146.31 million tonnes in 2014-15 compared to 137.7 million tonnes in previous year. India is followed by USA, China, Pakistan and Brazil.
7. Union Ministry of Labour and Employment announced the Prime Minister Shram Awards for the year 2014. There are nine nominations for the Shram Bhushan Award, Nineteen nominations for Shram Vir or Shram Veerangana and twenty six nominations for Shram Shree or Shram Devi Awards. Shram awards were set up by the Union Government in 1985 to recognize the outstanding contributions of workers in both public and private sectors.
8. Indian IT Services Company Wipro acquired Florida-based HealthPlan Services, run by private equity firm Water Street Healthcare Partners, for USD 460 million. The firm has 2,000 employees and it provides technology and Business-Process-as-a-Service (BPaaS) on a subscription basis to the health insurance sector. This is Wipro’s second-largest acquisition in order to strengthen its healthcare vertical.
9. Mukesh Bansal, the head of commerce and advertising business and Founder of Myntra has quit FlipKart. He has quit to the e-commerce firm to start an entrepreneurial venture in the sports domain. He joined Flipkart when the online marketplace acquired fashion retailer Myntra in 2014 and post his separation he will continue to be an adviser to the company.
10. Famous Bengali film-maker Aurobindo Mukherjee passed away in Kolkata today, He was 97. He was known for famous Bengali movies like ‘Dhanyi Meye’, ‘Agniswar’, ‘Mouchak’ and ‘Nishipadma’-all featuring Uttam Kumar-in the early 1970s.
11. Three-time champions India secured its birth for the final match of the Under-19 World Cup after defeating Sri Lanka by 97 runs in the first semi-final at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur. India will play against West Indies in the final match for the title.
1. The world’s largest solar power plant, Noor Ouarzazate Solar Complex, was opened in the Souss-Massa-Drâa area in Morocco. The plant holds the capacity to produce enough energy to power over one million homes by 2018 and reduce carbon emissions by an estimated 760000 tons per year.
2. Scientists announced that they have succeeded in detecting gravitational waves from the violent merging of two black holes in deep space after decades of effort. This was first mentioned by Albert Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity almost a century ago, which is now established through this detection of gravitational wave.
|191||India’s top pistol shooter ____________ secured an Olympic place by winning the gold medal in women’s 10-metre air pistol event held at the Asia Olympic Qualifiers for Shooting in New Delhi in Jan 2016.|
|A) Rahi Sarnobot|
|B) Heena Sidhu|
|C) Annu Raj Singh|
|D) Anjali Bhagwat|
|192||India’s Ravichandran Ashwin has been ranked at _________ in the all-rounders’ list and retained his second position in the bowling list, as per the latest ICC Test rankings published in Jan 2016.|
|181||Which IT Services has acquired privately-held cloud services firm KBACE Technologies for an undisclosed amount in Jan 2016.|
|182||Famous mathematician and the computer scientist ___________, also known as the pioneer of artificial intelligence, passed away in Jan 2016. He was 88.|
|A) Patrick Winston|
|B) Seymour Papert|
|C) Marvin Minsky|
|D) Harry Harrison|
|171||India’s Ace Shuttler, ___________ won the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton title after defeating Scotland’s Kirsty Gilmour 21-15, 21-9 in the final at Penang in Jan 2016.|
|A) Jwala Gutta|
|B) PV Sindhu|
|C) Saina Nehwal|
|D) None of These|
|172||Who won the Presidential election of Portugal after securing more than 52% of the votes in Jan 2016.|
|A) Antonio Sampaio da Novoa|
|B) Marisa Matias|
|C) Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa|
|D) None of These|
|161||Moldovan Parliament appointed ______________ as the country’s Prime Minister in Jan 2016.|
|A) Chiril Gaburici|
|B) Pavel Filip|
|C) Valeriu Strelet|
|D) None of These|
|162||Famous Italian _____________ Ettore Scola passed away following a prolonged illness in Rome. He was 84.|
|151||Who has been elected as the new President of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) for 2016 in Jan 2016?|
|A) Sanjeev Sharma|
|B) Arvind Saxena|
|C) Mamta Binani|
|D) Ashish Saraf|
|152||Famous __________ lyricist and film-maker Geethapriya passed away of cardiac arrest in Jan 2016. He was 84. He also received the Dr. B. Saroja Devi National Award and Sandesha Awards in 2012.|
|141||The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has projected India’s economic growth at __________ for the current year FY 2015-16 and 7.5% for the next year (announced in Jan 2016).|
|142||Which playback singer was awarded with the prestigious ‘Padma Bhushan Award’ by Indian Government in Jan 2016?|
|A) Alka Yagnik|
|B) Kumar Sanu|
|C) Udit Narayan Jha|
|D) Babul Supriyo|
|131||Which indian businessperson was awarded with the prestigious ‘Padma Vibhushan Award’ by Indian Government in Jan 2016?|
|A) Adi Godrej|
|B) N R Narayana Murthy|
|C) Dhiru Bhai Ambani|
|D) Ratan Tata|
|132||India’s total exports dropped by 14.75% in Dec 2015 to USD 22.29 billion. India’s trade deficit stood at __________ in Dec 2015 (announced in Jan 2016).|
|A) USD 9.45 billion|
|B) USD 11.66 billion|
|C) USD 12.47 billion|
|D) USD 13.7 billion|
|121||Which famous footballer ____________ has been appointed Brand Ambassador of Nagjee International Club Football Tournament in Jan 2016 which will be held at the Corporation Stadium in Kozhikode, Kerala in February 2016?|
|122||Which tv series won the ‘Best Television Series – Musical Or Comedy’ award at the Golden Globe Award 2016 held in Jan 2016?|
|A) Mozart In The Jungle|
|B) Mr. Robot|
|C) The Big Bang Theory|
|D) None of These|