GK Quiz – 24 July 2014
|7291||Which Indian City has become the first kerosene-free city in the country (announced in June 2014)?|
|7292||Which Indian Pharmaceutical Company has acquired 60% stake in a new company in Sri Lanka for USD 14 million in June 2014 to market its product in the country?|
|B) Sun Pharma|
|C) Aurovindo Pharma|
1. The Reserve Bank of India has set out a framework today for identifying and dealing with large banks, termed domestic systemically important banks or D-SIBs. A size beyond 2% of GDP will be one of the criteria for identifying a bank as a D-SIB and it will be subject to higher capital requirements, as per the Reserve Bank of India. The other three criteria for designating a bank as a D-SIB are: interconnectedness; lack of readily available substitutes or financial institution infrastructure; and complexity.
D-SIBs are perceived as banks that are ‘Too Big To Fail’. This perception creates an expectation of government support for these banks at the time of distress, So RBI wants to impose additional policy measures for these SIBs to deal with the systemic risks and possible crisis that may arise.
For this purpose, these banks will be categorized into five buckets based on their systemic importance scores and additional policy measures including higher capital charge will be applied to them. These additional policy measures will be applicable from 1st April 2016 in a phased manner and will be fully effective from 1st April 2019.
2. Consumer confidence level in India jumped by seven points to 128 in second quarter of the current year compared to 121 in the previous quarter, according to a global consumer confidence index study by Nielsen. India is now ranked as the most optimistic country followed by Indonesia and the Philippines which is better than second rank in the previous quarter. Newly elected central government with absolute majority is the main reason for this improvement.
3. The Chief Minister of Meghalaya, Dr Mukul Sangma launched a mass enrolment drive under the Chief Minister’s Social Assistance (CMSA) Scheme today for widows and persons with disabilities at Patharkhmah in Ri Bhoi District in Meghalaya. Each beneficiary shall be given a financial assistance of 500 rupees per month under the scheme.
The Chief Minister’s Social Assistance (CMSA) Scheme was launched in Asanang in West Garo Hills in the year 2012. Financial aid of 500 rupees per month is given to the beneficiaries of the scheme. There is no age bar for persons with disabilities, but for widow the age bar is 58 years while for man it is 60 years.
4. Arijit Basu, currently the Deputy Managing Director of State Bank of India, has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of SBI Life Insurance. He will succeed Atanu Sen who is due to retire on 31st July and take over charge in August.
5. Santanu Mukherjee has been appointed the Managing Director of State Bank of Hyderabad (SBH). He joined State Bank of Hyderabad as a Probationary Officer and served the Bank in various capacities and also held various important assignments (domestic as well as foreign) in the SBI group.
6. India’s largest IT services company Tata Consultancy Services has become the first Indian company to touch market capitalisation of Rs. 5 lakh crore. Shares of TCS jumped by 2.21% today to close at its 52-week high value of Rs.2,586.9. At the closing price, TCS’ market capitalization stood at to Rs. 5,06,703 crore. TCS is followed by ONGC (Rs 3.5 lakh crore) and Reliance Industries (Rs 3.3 lakh crore).
Among IT companies, TCS’ market cap is more than the combined market cap of the next four largest Indian companies — Infosys (Rs 1.90 lakh crore), Wipro (Rs 1.39 lakh crore) and HCL Tech (Rs 1.07 lakh crore) and Tech Mahindra (Rs 45,000 crore.
1. Joko Widodo won the Presidential election held recently in Indonesia and has been named the nation’s next president. Widodo, also known as Jokowi, won 53.15% of total votes while his opponent Prabowo Subianto won 46.85% of the total votes, as per the election commission data published yesterday. Prabowo called the voting undemocratic and pulled his witnesses from the counting process just hours before the final result was announced. Indonesia’s rupiah jumped to a two-month high and stocks advanced after this favorable election result.
2. Global Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar will play a special part in today’s opening ceremony of the 20th Commonwealth Games which will be held at Glasgow, Scotland. Tendulkar will form part of the ceremony in his capacity as UNICEF’s Global Goodwill Ambassador.
Lord David Puttnam, UNICEF UK Ambassador, told that there will be something special from Tendulkar, but he has not revealed any details. UNICEF has partnered with the Glasgow CWG organizers to spread awareness about problems facing children all over the world.
GK Quiz – 23 July 2014
|7281||India have finished at _______ position in the on-going men’s hockey World Cup tournament held in Netherlands in June 2014.|
|7282||Which writer has been shortlisted for the prestigious Moortidevi Award for 2013 for his novel “Theekkadal Katanhu Thirumadhuram” (announced in June 2014)?|
|A) M. Mukundan|
|B) O. V. Vijayan|
|C) C Radhakrishnan|
|D) Perumbadavam Sreedharan|
1. Yellapragada Sudharshan Rao has been appointed as Chairman of Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR). He would serve the council for a term of three years. He suceeded Basudev Chatterjee.
Yellapragada Sudharshan Rataught at Department of History, Kakatiya University. He had worked at Kakatiya University for about 40 years. He guided eight PhD and 15 MPhil students and has about 40 research papers published in various national and international journals to his credit.
2. The Central Government has appointed David Rasquinha and Debasish Mallick as Deputy Managing Directors of the Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank). Before that, Rasquinha was an Executive Director of Exim Bank and Mallick was the Managing Director and CEO of IDBI Asset Management Company Ltd.
3. The Chief Minister of Telangana K. Chandrasekhara Rao has announced India’s tennis star Sania Mirza as the Brand Ambassadorship of the new in Hyderabad today. She will promote the new state Telengana’s interests in India and abroad.
1. US based internet giant Yahoo has acquired an app analytics firm, Flurry for nearly USD 200 million to boost its advertising revenue from smartphones. Flurry app helps app developers analyze data about their users and deliver more personalized ads to them. This is Yahoo’s biggest acquisitions since its acquisition of Tumblr in 2012.
GK Quiz – 22 July 2014
|7271||The Reserve Bank of India has kept repo rate unchanged at ________ during its announcement of June 2014 monetary policy review.|
|7272||Which Crciket team leads the ICC test rankings as per the latest ICC ranking published in Dubai in June 2014?|
|A) South Africa|
|D) Sri Lanka|
General, Banking, Marketing and Computer awareness questions asked in SBI Clerk 2014 Online Exam – 20th July Evening Exam
General, Banking, Marketing and Computer awareness questions asked in SBI Clerk 2014 Online Exam – 20th July Morning Exam
1. Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti has announced in the Lok Sabha today that 2015-16 would be observed as the Year of Water Conservation. She assured the House that the concerns of the States will be taken into consideration while implementing the projects.
2. IFS officer Sanjeev Kumar Singla has been appointed as Private Secretary (PS) to Prime Minister Narendra Modi today. He will succeed Vikram Misri who has been appointed as the Ambassador of Spain. Mr. Singla, a 1997 batch officer, is returning home to serve in the PMO, after a posting in Indian Embassy in Israel’s Tel Aviv.
Mr. Misri, who was appointed as Ambassador to Spain in April, served as Private Secretary to former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
3. India won their first Test match at the historic Lord’s after 28 years after Ishant Sharma delivered a magical spell today which helped Indian team to secure a win by 95 runs. While chasing a target of 319 runs, England team was all out at 223.
Ishant Sharma was declared Man of the Match after getting 7 wickets for 74 runs. It took 28 long years for India to win a Test match at the ‘Home of Cricket’ after ‘Kapil Dev’s team achieved the feat back in June 1986 winning by five wickets.