1. India has successfully test fired the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from the Navy’s latest guided missile frigate INS Tarkash off the coast of Goa today. The missile performed the high-level ‘C’ manoeuvre in the pre-determined flight path and successfully hit the target.Advanced Talwar Class frigate, INS Tarkash was commissioned in November last year.
2. The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has relaxed eligibility parameters for the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY), which provides financial assistance to mothers for institutional deliveries. Now, Below Party Line (BPL) women can access JSY benefits irrespective of their age and number of children. All women from BPL category, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in all States and Union Territories will be eligible for JSY benefits if they have given birth in a government or private accredited health facility. BPL women who prefer to deliver at home can also get JSY benefits.
Launched in 2005, the JSY is the government’s main scheme to enable women — especially those from vulnerable sections — to access institutional delivery. This was done to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality.
3. Famous Singer Hariharan was conferred with the Lata Mangeshkar Samman Alankaran in Indore this week. The award is conferred by the Madhya Pradesh government which Madhya Pradesh government instituted in 1984. Music composer Naushad was the first recipient of this award.
4. Former national level volleyball player, Arunima Sinha has created history yesterday by becoming the first Indian amputee to conquer Mount Everest. She had lost one of her legs after being thrown of Padmawati Express for resisting a chain-snatching attempt by some criminals, while travelling from Lucknow to Delhi in April 2011.
5. Chennai Super Kings entered into the final of the 6th season of the Indian Premier League after defeating Mumbai Indians by 48 runs in the first Qualifier yesterday in New Delhi. While batting first, CSK scored 192 runs one 1 wicket supported by Mike Hussey (86) and Suresh Raina (82). Mumbai Indians were managed to score only 144 runs in 18.4 overs after losing its all wickets.
1. The International Day for Biological Diversity was observed today (22nd May). The day is observed every year to increase the understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues. The theme this year is “Water and Biodiversity”.
2. Ray Manzarek, a founding member and keyboardist of 1960s rock group The Doors, passed away on Monday at a medical clinic in Germany. He was 74. Singer Jim Morrison and then-UCLA film student Manzarek formed The Doors in 1965.
GK Quiz – 22 May 2013
|3731||Which auto company has launched electric four-seater passenger car e20 in India in March 2013?|
|A) Bajaj Auto|
|B) Tata Motors|
|C) Mahindra & Mahindra|
|D) Maruti Suzuki|
|3732||SEBI has set up a new committee headed whom to review insider trading norms in March 2013?|
|A) Justice N. K. Sodhi|
|B) Justice J Shome|
|C) Justice S Verma|
|D) Justice Usha Mehra Read more|
1. Anti-Terrorism Day is observed today (21st May) across the country, also as the 22nd anniversary of martyrdom of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi paid homage to him today at Rajiv Gandhi memorial, Vir Bhumi in New Delhi.
2. Defence secretary Shashi Kant Sharma has been appointed as the new Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India. President Pranab Mukherjee has approved the appointment of Sharma as the next CAG. He will be the 12th CAG of India. He will replace Vinod Rai, who retires on Wednesday. Vinod Rai had an eventful 5 years tenure in which CAG audit exposes 2G and Coalgate scams which shocked the country.
3. China’s new premier Li Keqiang visited India on his first foreign trip to India from 19th to 22nd May in order to strengthen ties between to major Asian economies. He along with Indian Prime Minister have signed some agreements in order to settle old border related disputes, share Brahmputra river related data, increase bi-lateral trades and reduce trade deficit for India. They have also decided to increase bi-lateral trade to USD 100 billion by 2015 from current USD 67.8 billion in FY 2012-13.
4. Justice Kalyan Jyoti Sengupta was elevated as the Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court today. He was currently a judge in the Uttarakhand High Court. He also assumed charge as the acting Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court in October 2012.
5. The board of iGate Corp, IT services provider, has sacked its chief executive officer Phaneesh Murthy following an investigation into a claim of sexual harassment and his relationship with a subordinate employee which he failed to inform to his superior as per Employee conduct ploicy. It has also appointed Gerhard Watzinger as interim chief executive with immediate effect.
6. Electronics and Computer Software Export Promotion Council (ESC) has appointed Vinod Sharma as the Chairman for 2013-15 yesterday. He will replace S. Radhakrishnan, Managing Director of Descon Ltd. Sharma, who is Managing Director at Deki Electronics, Noida was unanimously elected at the Committee elections of the ESC. ESC, sponsored by the Government, is India’s electronics and IT trade facilitation organisation.
7. Leading e-commerce marketplace eBay India has appointed Latif Nathani as its new Managing Director. Nathani has taken over from Muralikrishnan B., who has quit eBay India after year long stint in the company to start his own venture.
8. Indian famous Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has won the grand prize at the Copenhagen International Sand Sculpture Festival in Denmark for his sculpture on environment. He won the prize for his sand sculpture ‘Go Green, Save Earth’. He created the 15-feet high sculpture in seven days for the festival.
9. Indian boxers have created history by winning a record haul of 10 medals, including four gold, in the Invitation FXTM International Boxing Cup held in Limassol, Cyprus.Pugilists Madan Lal (52kg), V Durga Rao (56kg), Mandeep Jangra (69kg) and Praveen Kumar (+91kg) won gold while Manoj Kumar (64kg), Dinesh Kumar (91kg) and Sukhdeep Singh (75kg) had to be satisfied with silver medals. This is also the first time Indian boxers have managed to win a tournament on the European circuit.
10. Sahara India Pariwar, owner of Pune Warriors India IPL team has pulled out of the already scandal-hit Indian Premier League (IPL) today and announced that they will not renew their sponsorship of the Indian cricket team after the present contract expires in December 2013. The decision came after BCCI rejects Sahara India Pariwar’s claim to reduce the franchisee fee and encash some of its bank guarantee.
1. Sally Ride, the first US woman to fly into space will be awarded the highest civilian honour of the USA, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, by President Barack Obama. She died last year at 61. She joined NASA in 1978 in the first astronaut training class to include women. She inspired youth to reach for the stars, and she advocated for a greater focus on the science, technology, engineering and math that would help all get in the space.
2. Huge tornado hit Oklahoma City suburbs in USA killing 91 people including 20 children yesterday. The tornado travelled with the speed of 200 mph or 320 kmph and created huge disaster on its path. USA President Barack Obama has declared the Oklahoma tornado as the major disaster.
GK Quiz – 21 May 2013
|3726||Which company has bagged the ‘International Refiner of the Year’ 2013 at HART Energy’s 27th World Refining & Fuel Conference at San Antonio, Texas, USA in March 2013?|
|D) Essar Oil|
|3727||Who has been awarded with the “Best Professional Photographer of the Year 2011-12″ award in the 2nd National Photo Awards given away on 28th March 2013?|
|A) Subhash Jirange|
|B) Pankaj Sharma|
|C) Salil Bera|
|D) Sudip Roychoudhury Read more|
Global internet company Yahoo has agreed to acquire New York-based blogging service Company Tumblr for USD 1.1 billion in an all cash deal. This is the largest deal made by Yahoo since Ms Mayer joined Yahoo as its CEO in July last year. It will help yahoo to increase its presence in blogging service area and compete with other important players directly.
After this acquisition, Tumblr will operate independently and David Karp will continue as chief executive officer of Tumblr. Tumblr combines elements of blogging with social networking and it was able to attract many users since its launch due to its simple design.
1. Director General of Meteorology & Permanent Representative of India with World Meteorological Organization (WMO), Dr Laxman Singh Rathore, has been elected as Member of Executive Council of WMO during the 65th Executive Council of WMO meeting at Geneva. He had earlier served as Vice President of Commission of Agriculture Meteorology of WMO.
2. Indian National Defence University will be set up at Gurgaon. Post establishment, it will be a dedicated first-of-its-kind institution for training and research in military studies in India and will be equipped with training and research facilities on all aspects of national security as part of the strategic national policy-making.
3. Indian origin Entrepreneur Vivek Ranadive, founder of USD 4 billion Tibco Software Company, has brought 65% stake in the Sacramento Kings, an American basketball franchise for USD 347 million. With this , he has become the first Indian origin to become owner of a major US basketball team.
4. Morgan Stanley has announced that it has signed an agreement to sell its Indian wealth management unit to Standard Chartered for a disclosed sum. Morgan Stanley will work closely with Standard Chartered to ensure a smooth transfer of wealth management clients currently serviced in India in coming months.
5. Indian women team defeated Mongolia by 21-14 to win the gold medal at the inaugural FIBA Asia 3×3 basketball event at Doha, Qatar on Saturday. The team led by Geethu Anna Jose won the three play-off games without breaking much sweat. India had won the gold at the Asian Beach Games at Haiyang last year as well.
6. India’s sixth seeded Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna ended runners-up at the Rome Masters men’s doubles after defeated by top seeded American team of Mike and Bob Bryan by 2-6, 3-6 on Sunday.
1. Samina Baig, a 22-year-old woman became the first female Pakistani to scale the world’s tallest mountain, Mount Everest on Sunday. She is also the youngest among the only three Pakistanis, who have so far made it to the top of Mount Everest. She did this along with Nunshi and Tashi Malik, the first Indian twin sisters to scale the Everest.
2. Spain’s Rafael Nadal defeated his Swiss rival Roger Federer by 6-1, 6-3 yesterday to win Italian Open Men’s singles title. This is his seventh Italian open title in last 9 years. After coming back from knee injury, he has won his sixth title from eight finals so far this season and proved his preparedness for bigger win.
3. World number one Serena William defeated Belarusian Victoria Azarenka by 6-1, 6-3 to win the Rome Open Women’s singles title on Sunday. It was her 51st career title and 2nd Italian Open title.
GK Quiz – 20 May 2013
|3721||Prof Veer Bhadra Mishra passed away in March 2013. He was famous ____________.|
|D) Social Worker|
|3722||Which Indian City hosted SAARC journalists’ summit held in March 2013?|
|B) New Delhi|
|D) Mumbai Read more|